Asia West Pacific
Visiting Peace Place Training Center in Pati, Central Java, Indonesia
The Peace Place Training Center in Pati, Central Java, Indonesia was built in April 2011. It was first used for training housewives and teachers in May 2011. By July 2012, we opened our first program for early childhood education with four students. Now, Joglo Preschool meets Monday to Friday, 7.00-11.00 am with teacher meetings from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm in the Peace Place Training Center. Parent education and associations, such as Parents of Blind Children, also meet in the training center. Usually, training activities take place on weekends, evenings or school holidays. In January, however, we must close the school activities for 10 days to host the International Cultures of Peace training. We hope to build a training center soon so we can run training and school events at the same time, giving us the capacity to expand both.
To accommodate participants from a distance, Peace Place Training Center has a Friends Guest House with two rooms on the second floor, catching some breeze and a shared bathroom with a western toilet. Each room has three spring-foam mattress beds with mosquito nets and fans. We also roll out cotton-bat mattresses on the school/training room floor for another 3-5 people to sleep, which has two shared bathrooms with squat toilets in the center. A fourth shared bathroom on the first floor of the house is available with a washing machine for clothes. Clothes are hung out to dry daily. Peace Place maintains adequate high-speed internet for our daily work and guests.
Other participants may stay at people’s homes near the Peace Place. Bintang Kecil Preschool nearby has two large rooms that can accommodate 10 people each and five rooms for two or three people in each with fans. Guests may also rent rooms in the simple Sartika Hotel about 800 meters or a third of a mile, which is a 5-10 minute walk from Peace Place. Hotel Sartika has six types of rooms (2019 prices):
- 2.5 meters x 3 meters room with 2 beds, a bathroom, and a fan for Rp 100,000 per day.
- 2.5 meters x 3 meters room with 2 beds, a bathroom, a fan, and a TV for Rp 135,000 per day.
- 3 meters x 3 meters room with 2 beds, a bathroom, hot water, AC and TV for Rp 230,000 per day.
- 4 meters x 4 meters room for 3 people with bathroom, sink, hot water, AC for Rp. 280,000 per day.
- 4 meters x 5 meters room for 2 people with bathroom, sink, hot water, AC for IDR 300,000 per day.
- 4 meters x 5 meters room for 3 people with bathroom, sink, hot water, AC for IDR 400,000 per day.